SMARTSKIN PRE AND POST INSTRUCTIONS
As the body naturally heals, a noticeable improvement in the appearance and texture of your skin will be revealed. Optimal results can be expected at 6-9 months post treatment. SmartSkin treatments are extremely safe; however, it is essential to follow all SmartSkin pre and post instructions.
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, sunless tanning lotions, and tanning creams before and after your treatment. A broad-spectrum sun block (UVA/UVB of SPF 50 or greater) should be applied to the treatment area before any sun exposure. If you are tan, you will not be treated.
- Discontinue any products containing Retin-A, retinoids, hydroquinone, exfoliating products, glycolic and alpha-hydroxy acids 1 week prior to treatment.
Day Before Treatment:
□ Take 1 Acylovir tablet
□ Take 1 Fluconazole tablet
- Prepare a large container with vinegar and water mixture (1-2 tsp white vinegar per pint of purified water). Keep this covered and refrigerated to use after your procedure. Replenish as needed.
- Have plenty of clean washcloths available for your vinegar and water soaks.
- Divide frozen peas into individual sandwich-size bags for use following your treatment.
Day of Treatment/First 24 Hours:
□ Take 1 Acylovir tablet
- Wear comfortable clothing the day of treatment. If the neck or chest will be treated, it is advised to wear a button-down shirt.
- For any male patients, please be clean shaven if receiving treatment on the face or neck.
- Once you arrive at our office, you will be given a topical numbing cream. If necessary, anti-anxiety medication and/or pain medication will be prescribed prior to your treatment. You will bring this to your appointment and take it 30 minutes prior to your treatment. If you anticipate the use of this medication, be sure to not take this on an empty stomach, and arrange transportation home ahead of time as you will not be able to drive.
- Depending on the treatment, skin may have an appearance ranging from pink and shiny to gray. Pinpoint bleeding may also be experienced. Skin texture may feel rough and have a crusting or weeping appearance.
- Use frozen peas (15 minutes) every 2 hours or as needed to minimize swelling and discomfort. To decrease swelling, keep your head elevated by using two or more pillows when lying down or sleeping.
- Keep the skin continuously moist with an occlusive ointment. Our SkinCeuticals Hydra Balm is ideal for optimal healing and is specifically formulated to reinforce the skin’s barrier function and facilitate regeneration, which leads to an accelerated recovery. Apply this balm every 2-4 hours while awake.
- If necessary, it is okay to take acetaminophen for pain (Extra Strength Tylenol). Do not exceed 3000 mg/24 hours.
- Do not wash your skin for the first 24 hours after your treatment.
After 24 Hours:
□ Take 1 Acylovir tablet each day until the bottle is empty
- Begin vinegar soaks. Do this by saturating a clean washcloth with your refrigerated vinegar mixture and apply gently to the skin for 10-15 minutes 3-4 times a day.
- After each soak, cleanse your skin with a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil, followed by Biafine, Epidermal Repair, Hydra Balm and the Physical UV Defense Sunscreen (if the treatment area will be exposed to the sun).
- There is also a SkinCeuticals Biocellulose Restorative Masque included in your post-procedure system, which helps to replenish and sooth the skin while facilitating the skin’s recovery process. At any time after 24 hours, you may use this masque after cleansing your skin, followed with the products listed above.
- It is normal for skin to feel sensitive, and it may have a red, pigmented, and swollen appearance, depending on your treatment settings. It is also normal to feel itching; it is essential that you do NOT pick at or scratch the skin as it heals.
- You may continue to use ice packs as needed for swelling and discomfort.
- Do NOT scrub the skin in any way. If any burning or irritation occurs, wait until the following day before cleansing again.
- The soaks should be continued until all of the crusting falls off of the treated area, which typically occurs in 5-10 days. Each treatment is customized for our patients’ individual needs, so this time may vary.
- Your normal skin care regime may be resumed once all crusting falls off of the treated area. This usually occurs between 5-10 days for the face and approximately an additional week for other areas of the body. This time may vary depending on your treatment. It is essential to wait until the skin is crust free before resuming your skin care regime, applying makeup or shaving.
- At your 3 week follow up appointment, a maintenance plan will be discussed along with any recommended products/services so that you will be able to maintain your results and/or address any additional skin concerns.
- If pain is experienced, it should decrease after 24 hours. If you feel pain 1-2 days after the procedure, notify the office at (805) 898-0700.
- Avoid sun exposure during the first few weeks following your procedure. In addition to a broad-spectrum sun block, a wide brimmed hat is advised to reduce sun exposure. This is EXTREMELY important, as your skin will be more sensitive.
- Keep all follow up appointments so that we can assess how the treatment area is progressing. Continue to take any medications (if prescribed) as directed by your physician.